Thursday, November 4, 2010

the joy of teaching

afternoon yogi wan kenobis!

you know I learnt a LOT in my teacher training. yoga history, philosophy, anatomy, the universal principles of alignment, elements of teaching, how to adjust students in postures... But the one thing that nobody mentioned (with nothing but respect for my teachers) is how much FUN teaching is!

It is so friggin enjoyable! How come nobody told me?! Glad i got to find out for myself i guess... It's helping someone do something they've never done before, or something they thought they couldn't do... when you see the look of satisfaction, surprise and joy on their face you really share in it. and the change I notice in students when they first arrive in class, and when we bow our heads in our final namaste... that's pretty special too. nothing can beat it.

my teacher calls savasana (corpse, pose, aka the world's fastest cool down) the reward for the practice. all the effort you put in for that hour or so is given back to you as a thank you present during the minutes you lie down and surrender. And sitting at the front of the class, silently observing my students enjoying their "reward" - i can't help feeling a little rewarded myself.

thank you universe, and all my students for this precious gift.

it is an absolute honour to teach.

see you in the park :)




S


p.s. thanks to Ja & co at www.onedash22.com for the photo :)